Purple Striped Jellyfish (Chrysaora colorata)
Purple Striped Jellyfish is usually in light pink to white colour until they grow to the size of 10cm, then they will start developing the purple stripes on their bell. Relatively easy to breed and grow. They grow well on feeding moon jellyfish but feed well on other types of food such as baby/adult brine shrimp, mysids and sea food shakes.
- Harmful to humans: Partially - Stings from captive bred species are usually undetectable, however may cause irritation to those with sensitive skin
- Distribution: West coast of the U.S.
- Maximum Bell Size: 70cm (2.3 ft)
- Life Span: 2-3 years in captivity
- Feeding: Freshly hatched baby brine shrimp, adult brine shrimp, mysids, sea food shake, moon jellyfish, comb jellyfish
- Temperature: 15– 22°C (59 – 71.6°F)
- Photosynthetic: No
- Care level: Easy
- Notes: This species is relatively easy to keep and grow compared to other Chrysaora species. They do best with feeding on moon jellyfish but feed on wide range of other food. Sea food shake are fed better if it was blended and set with gelatin.